Welcome to Appalachian State Library Science!
Thank you for your interest in the online Library Science Program at Appalachian State University. We offer Masters of Library Science degrees for those students interested in pursuing careers in school librarianship and/or public librarianship.
Now Accepting Applications
Application Deadline Summer: April 1 (priority deadline March 1).
Application Deadline Fall: July 1 (priority deadline June 1).
Application Deadline for Spring: November 1 (priority deadline October 1).
Admission Requirements: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; complete application to the Graduate School; official GRE or MAT scores or approved exam waiver (applicable to students with 3.4 GPA or 5 years of experience in a school or library with recommendation of supervisor).
Contact: Dr. Kim Becnel, Program Director.
Click here for more information about this App State Online program.
- an online experience using a collaborative learning environment
- small classes in which students occasionally meet at the same time and conduct coursework on their own time
- an engaged and supportive faculty
Library Science, General (MLS) is:
- nationally recognized by the American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
- nationally accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
- approved by the North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction
- provides all necessary coursework for certification through the North Carolina Public Librarian Certification Commission
Completion of the Library Science Master's degree entitles graduates to apply for Media Coordinator licensure (076) from the State of North Carolina and the Public Librarian Certification from the North Carolina Public Librarian Certification Commission.