Welcome to Appalachian State Library Science!
We offer Masters of Library Science degrees for those students interested in pursuing careers in school librarianship and/or public librarianship.
*We are now accepting applications for Spring 2016 cohorts for both our online and UNC-C programs . The priority deadline for applications is October 1; once enrollment capacities have been reached, registration will be closed. The final deadline for applications is November 1. Apply here.
ASU Library Science is expected to begin our first cohort at UNC-Charlotte, beginning in Spring 2016! We will be having an information sessions in Charlotte this fall - please check back for more information.
- an online experience using a 3-D fully immersive and collaborative learning environment
- a hybrid learning experience, using both face-to-face and online environments, for cohorts at UNC-Charlotte
- small classes in which students occasionally meet at the same time and conduct coursework on their own time
- an engaged and supportive faculty
Library Science, General (MLS) is
- nationally recognized by the American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
- nationally accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
- approved by the North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction
- provides all necessary coursework for certification through the North Carolina Public Librarian Certification Commission
Completion of the Library Science Master's degree entitles graduates to apply for Media Coordinator licensure (076) from the State of North Carolina and the Public Librarian Certification from the North Carolina Public Librarian Certification Commission.